CAN I RUN MY AIR CONDITIONING ON OFF-GRID SOLAR POWER SYSTEM?
The general response has been NO. Reasonably priced off- grid solar power cannot run Air Conditioning. The most general populace believes that the solar photo-voltaic energy system cannot be powerful enough to power an Air Conditioning system.
It’s not impossible as some may think. But for air conditioning system to be used with solar power system it will requires a well designed and sized system. The larger you home electronics and appliances are the higher your investment on solar energy system that can power the air conditioning system.
There are some metrics and parameters you need to consider before using your air conditioner system with the solar power system:
- What is the Voltage of your air condition system? You need to know if the air conditioner voltage is inline with the inverter system
- How many Watts does your air conditioning system requires?
- Have enough solar panels arrays on your rooftops: If you got so much panels on your roof it will produce enough power to run the air conditioning system
- Have an inverter system with higher Wattage or Voltage-Amps that will be enough to power the air condition unit.
- Have enough battery banks to store more charges. A battery for example Lithium-ion Battery from Tesla will surely help in storing charges and power the air conditioning unit. It is really recommended to go with Lithium-ion batteries because its mounting can be placed anywhere unlike lead acid AGM batteries. Lithium-ion batteries is rated for many more cycles than lead acid batteries. (about 2000 cycles of Lithium-ion batteries to Lead batteries(500 cycles))
Below is few minutes’ video presentation depicting that “IT IS POSSIBLE TO RUN OR USE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM ON OFF-GRID SOLAR POWER SYSTEM”
Video Credits: DIY Homestead Projects
What do you think of the video? Any plans to install off-grid solar energy system to run your air conditioner? Or probably, you think we’re crazy for even suggesting it? Share your thoughts and questions in the comments below.
Mr. Michael Edun is a Senior Technical writer and IT Manager at PSC SOLAR (UK) LTD. Lagos, Nigeria. – +2348120855444. +2348123655444
Please Feel Free to Post Your Comments …………….